Each year Hands On! rewards the most excellent children’s exhibition or project dedicated to children with the Children in Museums Award. The award was recently named one of Europe’s most prestigious museums awards by NEMO-The Network of European Museums Organisations.
The Travelling Miffy trophy
The CMA trophy is a bronze statue of Miffy, the world-famous children’s character, which was created by Dick Bruna. 2015 was Miffy’s 60th anniversary and yet she still appeals to children all over the world – the Miffy books are now translated in more than 50 languages. As a character, Miffy embodies the principles of creativity, fantasy, openness, positivity, freedom of thinking and child friendliness.
Applications are welcome from children’s museums, educational programs, children’s and youth departments of museums, science centers and other cultural institutions with a special focus on children’s programs. These may be long-established or newly opened museums. However, priority will be given to programs that are recent innovators. Applicants may compete as such or apply with a special (time-limited) program or exhibition. However, the project submitted for the award must be current and on view in the year of the award.
1. Innovation: For instance, showing new pathways to enlarge subject matters, new ideas for using collections in children’s programmes, new ways of using technologies to interact with the content, new forms of actively engaging young visitors, etc.
2. Quality of Learning: For instance, creating an overall environment and atmosphere which are conducive to learning, using interactivity to favour understanding, involving children in the conception and design, testing and evaluation of programmes and exhibitions, etc.
3. Inclusion and Social Impact: For instance, showing evidence of programmes or initiatives that have a social impact and focus on inclusion and diversity, outreach activities, etc.
4. Information and Communication: For instance, having an informative website, learning printed and/or digital materials for schools, teachers, parents, etc.
5. Staff: For instance, showing good management and well-trained and experienced staff.
Hands On! Members: €225
The winner of our travelling Miffy trophy and a 5000€ cash prize sponsored by Mercis B.V. will be announced in the course of a festive evening event. Nominees will be named honorary ambassadors of the 21st Century Children Project co-funded by the European Union, as the represent best practice examples of future-oriented museum spaces for children.