For this tenth edition we have chosen Touch and Learn, related to the categories management, technology, exhibitions and creative learning.
The first conference took place in the Netherlands in 1996 and has been organized biannually since then. A varied programme of keynote speakers, workshops and museum visits highlights the importance of excellent exhibitions and programmes for children in children’s museums, museums and science centres, bringing participants up to date on the latest international trends and developments in the field.
Stimulating curiosity and inspiring creativity is essential for children in the twenty-first century. Museums, children’s museums and science centres are places where informal learning is activated; an important addition to formal education. These places, and especially their programmes and exhibitions, offer a crucial contribution the 21st century skills that future adults must have.
Together we drafted the manifesto, which will direct our work for the coming two years. It reflects our conviction that the world needs creative centres like the ones we represent. We invite you to sign it, and share in our mission.
Hands On! International Association of Children in Museums is dedicated to:
1. Making high-quality exhibitions and programmes for children
2. Securing public and political support for children’s education in museums
3. Stimulating creativity and curiosity in children through our programmes
4. Fostering the unique talents of every child
5. Creating inclusive environments that are relevant to and accessible for all children
6. Preparing successful citizens for a globalized world